Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Myrtle the Giraffe

So maybe you heard that I went to the beach recently...

One of my favorite stops while we're there is always Home Goods.  Now I'm not talking about a TJ Maxx with some Home Goods stuff in the back or a TJ Maxx (slash) Home Goods where it's like half and half (I'm looking at you Asheville). This is a for real, knock your socks off, "Take My Breath Away" playing in the background Home Goods. I consider it pure joy, my friends.  

That is where I found Myrtle.

Isn't she beautiful?

She's an (at least) nine feet tall wooden giraffe.  I considered standing on that table to get a true measurement, but then I noticed that it was supported by one, smallish pedestal.  I reconsidered, and estimated based on that lovely lady bent over beside her. 

I immediately sent a picture to Lisa (I'm linking to her, yet she never updates her blog so there's no real reason to click over there).  I just knew she would see the beauty and potential usefulness of the giraffe as I did.  Of course, Lisa agreed, and at $799.99, she was a bargain.   The proposal was made to split the cost and share her.  We came up with several name suggestions including Jason (as in Aldean), Kenny (as in Chesney), and Luke (as in Bryan).  In the end, there was only one name that was appropriate, Myrtle (as in Beach).  For the record, I still reserve the right to name my next dog Myrtle which has been the plan for many years. 

So I loaded her up and tied her to the top of the van.  Oh, we were a sight to see on the long drive home.  She was flapping around, legs everywhere. Lisa suggested a trailer or something to bring her home and then transport between our houses since the plan WAS to share her.  I was just trying to be frugal, so I didn't purchase the trailer.  Now, I'm sitting at home with this (at least) nine feet tall giraffe named Myrtle and no way to get her over to Lisa's house.  Unless I tie her to the top of the van again which is a viable option. 

***I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I am the crazy one, and Lisa just politely plays along. 

***Some parts of this story are fictional ~ I'll let you decide which ones.

2 comments: