Sunday, August 21, 2011

Making Memories Of Us

Speaking of my buddy Keith (on the other blog), I am reminded of a song he sings that I love.  It's called "Making Memories Of Us".  It kind of has a special meaning because every time Brian and I hear it we think about all the times we look at each other and say, "Just makin' memories baby, makin' memories".  Even though we sometimes just say it to be silly, other times we really mean it. 

I LOVE traditions.  If we do something the same way more than once, it's a tradition.  Granted, some of my need to do things the same way over and over again may just be my obsessive compulsive nature.  Honestly, I just want our children to remember all the special times we have together.  Some of these may include family traditions, but some may just be every day stuff we do together.

Brian and I have always committed to keep more emphasis on experiences than material things.  Sure our kids have MORE than their share of toys, but I hope when they're all grown up they don't think back and say, "Wow, those were some great toys".  While I want them to be thankful for everything, I really want their memories to be filled with great family time...a fun vacation, a day trip, a play, a park, a ballgame, playing games at home, cooking dinner together, birthdays, reading and praying together, playing in the yard, just hanging out.

So if you hear us humming that little tune every once in a while, it's just a reminder for us that we're trying really hard to keep makin' memories of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment