Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Lantern In Her Hand

I followed the advice of Sarah over at Clover Lane and read A Lantern In Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich.  If you read her blog, you have probably already heard about this book.  It is historical fiction set in the late 1800s.  It's so hard to even imagine the hardships of that time.  We are so spoiled with modern conveniences! Reading about the life of Abbie (the main character) made me so very thankful for all of our blessings.  The book was actually written in 1956.  The writing was very interesting since it was written by someone who was actually born in the 1800s.  I highly recommend it!!!

*WARNING* I cried multiple times while reading...but keep in mind I cry over everything so you will be fine.  Probably.

Here are a few quotes that I particularly loved:
"Afterwards they went out on the porch and Abbie held the little girl on her lap. She cuddled her up and put her wrinkled cheek against the child's firm one. Oh, why didn't mothers do it more when they had the chance?  What were clubs and social affairs and freedom by comparison? And what was freedom?"

"You know Grace, it's queer but I don't feel narrow.  I feel broad.  How can I explain it to you so you can understand?  I've seen everything....and I've hardly been away from this yard.  I've seen cathedrals in the snow on the Lombard poplars.  I've seen the sun set behind the Alps over there when the clouds have been piled up on the edge of the prairie.  I've seen the ocean billows in the rise and the fall of the paririe grass.  I've seen history in the making....three ugly wars flare up and die down.  I've sent a lover and two brothers to one, a son and a son-in-law to another, and two grandsons to another.  I've seen the feeble beginnings of a raw state and the civilization that developed there, and I've been part of the beginning and part of the growth.  I've married...and borne children and looked into the face of death.   Is childbirth narrow, Grace?  Or marriage?  Or death?  When you've experienced all those things, Grace, the spirit has traveled although the body has been confined.  I think travel is a rare privilege and I'm glad you can have it.  But not every one who stays at home is narrow and not every one who travels is broad."

I especially love the following quote about home.  I'm so thankful for my childhood home, and that Mom still lives there.  When we bought the house we live in now, we knew that it probably wouldn't be our "forever" house.  Chances are our next house won't even be our "forever" house.  I remind myself often that home is where your family is and not a physical building.  That helps me to not get too caught up in the worry that my own children will not have that ONE home to always go back to where ALL of their memories were made.  They will likely have several homes.  I know it's ok! Brian lived in many houses while growing up and he's just fine (or so he says).  He also isn't nearly as sentimental as I am about these things... Oh well!

" It was the only old home the children had ever known.  There ought to be a home for children to come to, and their children, a central place, to which they could always bring their joys and sorrows, an old familiar place for them to return to on Sundays and Christmases.  an old home ought always to stand like a mother with open arms.  It ought to be here waiting for the children to come to it, like homing pigeons."  

I hope you'll consider reading this book especially if you like historical fiction at all.  If you do, let me know! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite books of all time. I read it as a teenager and I read it every few years. I love it. I've read all of Bess Streeter Aldrich's books and they're so good. You'd probably enjoy them all. But I'd recommend A White Bird Flying. It follows up with Abby's children and grandchildren, centering on one of her grand-daughters. I love, love, love it and the last last part of the book is one of my favorite literary scenes of all time.

    ReplyDelete